Machine Health For Dummies Chapter 1: Machine Health 101

We’re breaking down each chapter of Machine Health For Dummies, Augury Special Edition (get your free copy here). 
First up, chapter one! Discover the what and why of machine health, how it enables Industry 4.0, and common causes of machine failures and their costs. Chapter one includes:

✅ Learning the basics of machine health

✅ Making Industry 4.0 a reality with machine health

✅ Examining the causes and impacts of machine failure

Take 5 minutes, read the chapter, and let us know what you took away from it in the comments. Here are a few questions to think about:

💡 What role do you think collaboration and communication between different teams (maintenance, reliability, engineering, and operations) play in ensuring the health and efficiency of machines? 

💡 How might breaking down these silos enhance the overall effectiveness of machine health initiatives at your plant?

💡 How has the introduction of Industry 4.0 technologies improved operations at your plant? How has it improved your day-to-day?

Tagged:

Comments

• Scott Reed
    Scott Reed ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

I thought Chapter 1 was a great intro and an easy, consumable read. I agree wholeheartedly that MH is a key enabler of I4.0 and, in many instances, it is the best starting point for an organization to learn not only about the power and benefits of integrated, contectualized information but also about themselves as an organization and how to obtain clarity to these insights and ultimately take effective and unified action.

As to the questions above, I think the common link is one that is typically discussed the least by consultants and industry experts and that is the opportunity to break down silos. Even with the broadest adoption of DX/IX, if the organization is still focused only upon functional objectives and achieving their metrics, then the deployment of digital tools and insights will remain as sub-optimized as their best operational excellence and continuous programs currently perform. Breaking down the silos means everyone eats from the same trough to achieve the business objectives and improve the capability and capacity to serve the business demands and most importantly the customer.

And, I must add that from these insights is the opportunity to democratize data and thus socialize Institutional Knowledge (IK). Today IK residence is universally projected upon the most tenured or experienced in the company. However, without a single source of truth, awareness and appreciation is only marginally aligned due to varying functional perspectives (maintenance, engineering, procurement, production) and compounded by the unconscious bias inherent to each function. From my experience, this is the greatest benefit to any organization as it enables the opportunity to operate in a highly efficient manner, regardless of the growth, labor and financial challenges being faced. Glad to see this included within Ch. 1.

• Totally aligned with Scott on how practical and easy to read and understand is Chapter 1. I also like the what-why-how-how much approach to help understand the reasons and benefits of Machine Health at line, plant, company and client levels. MH is actually a great starting point to I 4.0 as improving unplanned downtime, production capacity and asset utilization generates multiple benefits across the Supply Chain and frees up time of everyone involved with operation, maintenance and reliability to invest more time in value added-rewarding activities and the innovation and automation available today.

The beauty of MH technology is that integrates Machines and People in the physical and digital wolds allowing everyone to work with real-time visibility, the same data and analytics and one communication flow facilitating common understanding, coordinated action and permanent collaboration towards health of machines and efficiency of the operation.

This collaboration also helps break siloes that are very costly and allows teams to integrate and work with similar objectives, timelines and incentives. Safety and Quality improvements follow and the virtuous cycle continues with time to learn, teach and grow. Just few years ago, before this technology arrived, getting to these operating conditions and day-to-day benefits required major efforts and long time to achieve. Today, a great catalyst is MH that is quite easy to implement (sensors, AI diagnostics, direct alerts) has almost zero cost of entry and requires minimum effort. ROIs are high in only months…And, then the virtuous cycle starts.

Great way to start MH for Dummies. Looking forward to Ch 2!